For so long, high maintenance costs and health problems have made people lose faith in air compressors. The costs of replacing filters, for instance, or dealing with messy oils and impure air are just some of these problems. However, modern manufacturers have resulted to oil-free air compressors that are less expensive to maintain and more efficient as well. If you would like to know more about these machines and perhaps get to invest in the best oil free air compressor for your DIY projects, read our oil free air compressor reviews guide below.
However, it is probably important to understand how these oil-less machines operate before selecting any single of them. For instance; there are air compressors cooled by an air cooling system while others are cooled by a water cooling system. In addition, different oil free compressors have different pros and cons. But we shall discuss this later on in our guide.
- PORTER-CABLE PCFP02003
- Capacity: 3.5 gallons
- Max working pressure: 135 PSI
- Air delivery: 2 CFM delivered at 90 PSI
- Tank type: pancake
- Weight: 26 lbs
- Dimensions: 18.25" x 18.5" x 17.25"
- Includes: pancake air compressor
- Other: 82 dBA noise level, 10 amps, 0.8 HP motor
- PORTER-CABLE CMB15
- Capacity: 1.5 gallons
- Max working pressure: 150 PSI
- Air delivery: 2 CFM delivered at 90 PSI
- Tank type: fully shrouded compressor
- Weight: 20 lbs
- Dimensions: 15.5" x 13.2" x 20.5"
- Includes: 25 ft nylon coil hose, 2 tapered nozzles, inflation needle, 1/4" tire chuck, hose adapter, 2 pc high flow inflator/deflator kit and teflon tape
- Other: 79 dBA noise level, 0.8 HP motor, 10 amps, includes water drain valve
- Hitachi KNT50AB
- Capacity: 6 gallons
- Max working pressure: 150 PSI
- Air delivery: 2.8 CFM delivered at 90 PSI
- Tank type: pancake
- Weight: 36.5 lbs
- Dimensions: 16.53" x 18.5" x 16.53"
- Includes: 2" 18-Gauge Brad Nailer, pancake air compressor, 25' x 1/4" Hybrid Air Hose, safety glasses, pneumatic tool lubricant
- Other: 100 nails capacity, can operate multiple nailers depending on the application
- California Air Tools 5510SE
- Capacity: 5.5 gallons
- Max working pressure: 120 PSI
- Air delivery: 2.2 CFM delivered at 90 PSI
- Tank type: horizontal
- Weight: 46 lbs
- Dimensions: 23" x 10" x 19"
- Includes: air compressor, wheel kit, air filter
- Other: 8.5 amps, 110-volt/60 Hz, thermal overload protector, 60 dbA noise level, 1680 RPM, extra large dual pistons, 2 pressure control gauges
- California Air Tools 10020C
- Capacity: 10 gallons
- Max working pressure: 125 PSI
- Air delivery: 5.3 CFM delivered at 90 PSI
- Tank type: vertical
- Weight: 82.5 lbs
- Dimensions: 16" x 15.1" x 35.9"
- Includes: air compressor, wheel kit
- Other: 70 dbA noise level, 2 HP motor, 14 amps, 1680 RPM, extra large dual pistons, overheating protection, 2 pressure control gauges
- California Air Tools 2010A
- Capacity: 2 gallons
- Max working pressure: 120 PSI
- Air delivery: 2.2 CFM delivered at 90 PSI
- Tank type: horizontal
- Weight: 35 lbs
- Dimensions: 18.5" x 14" x 13.5"
- Includes: -
- Other: 60 dbA noise level, 1 HP motor, 8.5 amps, 1680 RPM, extra large dual pistons, over heating protection, 2 pressure gauges
Top 6 Oil-Free Air Compressors
Hitachi KNT50AB Oil Free Air Compressor
The Hitachi KNT50AB comes as a complete air compressor unit. It comprises of a pancake shaped air compressor, a nailer lubricant, safety glasses, a 25 inch hybrid hose with fittings and NT50AE2 Brad Nailer. On average, the combo kit comes at a price of $250, making it one of the most affordable complete units you can get at the moment.
- The air compressor features a 6 gallon tank with the ability to achieve 150Psi worth of pressure – While not very big; its 6 gallon tank could provide consistent air while you do DIY projects at home. And since it can achieve up to 150Psi, you could inflate tires, use at a construction site or even power nailing tools efficiently and effectively.
- The air compressor is compact and relatively light – At 38.5 pounds, and with a compact pancake shape, the air compressor can be stored easily. In addition, it features rubberized wheels, a roll cage design and a great handle to ease transportation.
- High Quality Design – The pancake shaped air compressor is ideally built to last for long. To start with it features a roll caged body for maximum protection. When it comes to operation; its red knobs, quick connect couplers and hybrid hose ensures that you can power any tools easily and efficiently.
- Features a Brad Nailer – The air compressor comes with a 2.2 pounds nailer that is rubberized for great quality operation. In addition, the nailer has a multi-directional air export system, a large trigger and a nail capacity of 100. Unfortunately, the nailer itself does require oil for lubrication.
- Achieves an air delivery of 2.8cfm @90PSI – Ideally, this airflow is high enough to handle almost any DIY job you could have at home. For inflating tires and leisure activity materials especially, the air flow ensures you work consistently.
Porter Cable PCFP02003 Oil Free Air Compressor
The Porter cable PCFP02003 is one of the best rated air compressors in the market today. It is light, small and powerful enough to multitask on your DIY home jobs. For someone looking for a portable air compressor, therefore, this is certainly a machine you would want to check out.
- Light and Portable – The air compressor weighs 28.8 pounds while it measures 18.1*17.2*18.5 inches. As such, it is a machine you could store in your garage, lift and transport it around while you do your jobs efficiently. Again, the machine also features a recessed handle to ease operation.
- Powerful and Reliable Compressor – With its 120v motor, the air compressor is able to deliver a consistent air flow of 2.0 SCFM at 90 PSI. In addition, the machine is able to reach 135Psi in case you need that much pressure for any DIY job. Note however that most home projects, including powering air tools ask for an air flow of 2cfm at 90Psi on average.
- Large 3.5 Gallon tank – The machine’s 3.5 gallon tank ensures you have enough air to handle all your jobs at any given time. This is an important feature, especially because the machine’s pump requires enough air to maintain consistent pressure.
- Features a tank pressure gauge – The gauge helps indicate the amount of pressure built-up inside the tank. In addition, it comes with a pressure gauge for the outlet side and a regular knob to help regulate this pressure. Note that the presence of this knob ensures that you can operate power tools safely without the risk of injuring yourself or damaging your tires.
- Less noisier – At82 decibels, the air compressor is certainly not a quiet operator. However, most people who own the compressor note that it is relatively less noisy compared to other machines in the same price range.
- Features a one year limited warranty.
Porter Cable CMB15 Oil Free Air Compressor
The Porter Cable CMB15 is perhaps the best oil less air compressor for someone who wants to own an oil free model for the first time. To start with it is cheap. At slightly over $100, the compressor is one of the cheapest top rated machines you can find. In fact, at one time in 2019, the machine was ranked as the third best selling oil less model. Read below, however, to see if the cheap price is worth the value the following features could provide.
- Light and Portable – Certainly the best home use air compressors are light. The Porter cable model is no different with its 20 pounds weight. It is also small for easy storage. It measures 15.5*13.2*20.5 inches overall.
- Achieves an air deliver of up to 3cf at 40Psi – The Porter cable model comes with an adjustable regulator to help control the air flow you want to work with. With that in mind, you can power different air tools with the exact air tools experts recommend at no problems. Again, the controlled airflow helps increase the machine’s recovery rate and in turn better its overall performance. Also, note that it is capable of achieving up to 150Psi. However, its average airflow at 9Psi is 2cfm.
- Also, note that it is capable of achieving up to 150Psi. However, its average airflow at 9Psi is 2cfm.
- Comes with an 8 accessory kit – The air compressor features all necessary accessories to ensure you can power it with a normal 110V socket. In addition, it features a nylon coil hose; 2 tapered nozzles, a hose adapter among other accessories that you would most need.
- Durable Construction – The Porter cable model is built out of an improved long-lasting construction. A roll cage on its body ensures it can survive any knocks or falls. On the interior, the compressor features a soft-start high quality motor. Again, its oil free nature ensures you have few maintenance issues to deal with.
California Air Tools 5510SE Air Compressor
The California Air Tools 5510SE model comes with a 1.0 HP motor and a 5.5 gallon tank to make it one of the most powerful and top oil free air compressors that cost less than $200. With its power, the California Air tool machine is able to do many of the jobs smaller sized air compressors would struggle to operate. For instance, this air compressor can handle nail finishers, blow guns and dental drills better than smaller machines would. Read below however to view all its features.
- Quiet Operator – At 60 decibels, this air compressor produces the lowest noise when compared to other machines at the same price range. In fact, the noise this machine produces is so low than you would work while speaking to other people and not raise your voice.
- 5.5 Gallon steel Tank – The 5.5 gallon tank is quite big for a home use oil free air compressor. It holds enough air to help power your pneumatic tools efficiently and faster because it also ensures there is a fast recovery rate while switching between different tools. On the other hand, the tank is made out of steel; thus guaranteeing maximum durability.
- Oil-Free Pump – The machine features a non-metallic high temperature resistance pump that outperforms many oil lubricated compressors at its price range. In addition, its lack of oil reduces costs of maintenance even when it could serve you for up to 3000 hours.
- Light and Portable – Although its steel tank increase weight to 50 pounds, the presence of large never flat wheels and a great handle ensures you maneuver the compressor easily wherever you work. It is also not large in size, measuring 25.5 inches in length for easy storage.
- Features a thermal overload protector.
California Air Tools 10020C
With a unique high quality design and construction; the California Air Tools model stands out among all other oil free tools in the market. Besides this, the machine is powerful and reliable for any air powering jobs you may have. In addition, this machine is built to save as much as possible on savings while outliving other oil-free air machines in its price range.
- Powerful and Reliable – The air compressor features a 1.0 HP motor and a great quality pump that ensures you get consistent airflow as you do your DIY projects. And since it features a large 10 gallon tank, you get to experience a quick recovery rate for fast tire inflation power tool operations or spray painting.
- High Air Delivery Rate – The air compressor deliver 5.30 CFM @90 PSI or 6.40 CFM at 40 PSI. And as if not enough, you could regulate this pressure to achieve up to 120 PSI in less than 25 seconds. With this overwhelming airflow rate; you could, in turn, multitask and achieve great results at a faster rate.
- Relatively quiet – The machine produces a noise level of 70 decibels. While this may not be quiet, it is still less noisy, especially when you consider the power capability this machine has.
- Easy to Transport and Store – The air compressor measures 16*15.1*35.9 inches. It is built to stand upright and weighs 82.5 lbs. The vertical design helps save on storage space, while its heavy weight is leveraged with the inclusion of never flat wheels and a rubberized handle
- High Quality Metal construction – The air compressor, with its steel designed tank could last as many as 30 years. And when you add the fact that it is oil free, you get a long service life that costs less to maintain. Again, its dual piston pump is designed to serve for up to 3000 hours.
- Features an easy to start valve that requires less amps to power.
- Comes with a one year warranty.
California Air Tools 2010A
The California Air Tools 2010A is a quiet, oil free air compressor engineered to provide efficient services. With a 1.0 HP motor, a modern dual piston pump and a 2 gallon tank, the air compressor helps inflate tires at home, power air tools and tackle other jobs with ease.
- Powerful and Reliable – The air compressor comes with a 1.0 HP motor, which ideally is powerful enough to handle any DIY projects you may have at home. This motor also revolves more quietly and less vigorously. This, in turn, helps prolong its service life while preventing wear.
- Dual Piston Pump – The oil-free dual piston pump is designed to reduce the costs while enhancing performance. The oil less nature also frees you of the troubles of changing messy oil. Instead, it helps run the compressor smoothly for up to 3000 service hours.
- 2.0 Gallon Aluminum Tank – The machine’s tank is small and light, thus saving you on storage space while enhancing portability. And while the small tank maybe inconvenient to some people; it can hold enough air for small DIY jobs accordingly.
- High Airflow – Despite its small gallon size, the compressor supplies air consistently at a rate of 2.20 CFM at 90 PSI. And while you need lower pressure of about 40 PSI, the machine could be adjusted and supply its air flow at 3.10 CFM.
- Produces 60 decibels of noise, which is much lower than what most other oil less machines produce.
- Light and Portable – The small air compressor weighs 35 pounds for easy transportation. It measures 18.5*14*13.5 inches, but better yet has padded wheels and a rubberized handle. With these features, you can maneuver around surfaces and place it in a position of your convenience.
- Quality Construction – The machine comes with an Aluminum made body for a rust free, leak free experience. In addition, the machine’s other parts such as the motor and pump are all designed to enhance performance for the longest time period.
Best Oil Free Air Compressors Comparison Chart
|Product name||Capacity||Max working pressure||Air delivery||Weight||Dimensions|
|PORTER-CABLE PCFP02003||3.5 gallons||135 PSI||2 CFM delivered at 90 PSI||26 lbs||18.25" x 18.5" x 17.25"|
|PORTER-CABLE CMB15||1.5 gallons||150 PSI||2 CFM delivered at 90 PSI||20 lbs||15.5" x 13.2" x 20.5"|
|Hitachi KNT50AB||6 gallons||150 PSI||2.8 CFM delivered at 90 PSI||36.5 lbs||16.53" x 18.5" x 16.53"|
|California Air Tools 5510SE||5.5 gallons||120 PSI||2.2 CFM delivered at 90 PSI||46 lbs||23" x 10" x 19"|
|California Air Tools 10020C||10 gallons||125 PSI||5.3 CFM delivered at 90 PSI||82.5 lbs||16" x 15.1" x 35.9"|
|California Air Tools 2010A||2 gallons||120 PSI||2.2 CFM delivered at 90 PSI||35 lbs||18.5" x 14" x 13.5"|
Benefits of Oil Free Air Compressors
Generally, both oil lubricated and oil free air compressors are capable of providing efficient services. As such, most buyers don’t really give much thought about the type of air compressor they want to buy. However, these days many people have become aware of the dangers associated with oil lubricated air compressors. Manufacturers have in turn responded by engineering oil free air compressors which have the following benefits.
- They are light and smaller – A typical oil free air compressor features a 10 gallon or less air tank. They have an overall small size and weighs less than 50 pounds. In turn, these machines are easy to carry. Some can just be lifted with the help of a handle, while many will still feature padded wheels for maneuverability.
- Lower cost of maintenance – Most people buy oil free machines because they cost less to maintain. With the absence of collecting oil laden condensates for instance or absence of filters to replace, the owner spends much money in maintenance.
- Energy Saving – Oil free air compressors have low discharge pressure, which in turn helps save on power consumption. In addition, these machines unload horsepower faster, further increasing energy conserved.
- Have reduced oil change intervals – True, many oil free models do require an oil replacement every year. However, oil flooded machines demand regular oil changes, which implies more mess to deal with in the long run.
- They provide clean and reliable air at all times – Oil free machines supply high quality air that in turn helps protect your tools and your own health as well.
- Fewer maintenance costs – Many oil free air compressor feature high quality construction and components. They are easy to control and are engineered to enhance performance as much as possible.
- Oil free air compressors are generally cheap.
What to Look for in the Best Oil Free Air Compressors
Oil free air compressors are cheap and do not rely on oil for regular operation. But what else do you need to know about these machines before you spend your money? Can you find an industrial oil free machine for instance? Are there two stage air compressors? Continue reading to learn more.
Usually, oil free air compressors operate almost similarly to an oil lubricated air compressor. The biggest difference is that the latter models have to be lubricated with oil from time to time. With that in mind, ensure you confirm you are about to pick an oil free machine before you pay for it. This is because some manufacturers indicate their compressors don’t need regular oil replacement without clarifying that they must be lubricated.
Ease of Transportation
Oil free air compressors are generally built for DIY projects, which is why they should be light and easy to transport. A good machine, for instance, should weigh less than 50 pounds and come with never flat wheels for better maneuverability. They may feature a pancake design or horizontal tank, but the bottom line is that they should be portable.
Efficiency in any air compressor is measured by how much air flow they can handle, their motor’s power and ability to recover air quickly. For many oil free models, an air flow of between 1.5-5 CFM at 90Psi would be ideal. A motor with a 1 HP and the ability to achieve up to 150 PSI would also be a better choice as it would help you with whatever DIY project you may have in mind.
If you are avoiding an oil lubricated compressor for health reasons; also avoid a gas powered machine. Instead, opt for an electric compressor which is technically more convenient at home and for the small jobs you may have. In any case, modern air compressors are designed to function with normal 120V home sockets. Note however that electric models may have short power cords, in which case you may need to invest in a good extension cord.
Air compressors tend to cost more or less depending on the size of their air tanks. A 10 gallon air compressor, for instance, may cost much more than a 2 gallon machine. With that in mind, assess your workload and invest in an appropriate air compressor.
Finally, while the best oil free air compressors will have big tank sizes and more powerful motors, they may not be worth buying when you only need a machine for DIY projects. Instead, it is wiser to evaluate the power tools you need to operate, re-visit our oil free air compressor reviews and pick the most suitable machine for your needs. That way you will probably get to save more money while you still settle for a machine perfect for your needs. After all, that’s the best way to do business.